December 14, 2005
permalink 35 weeks - still feeling good

Well it's 36 degrees celsius here today and I'm 35 weeks pregnant, but I feel positively spritely compared to how I felt at this stage with my last pregnancy.

When I saw my docs last week my blood pressure was still good (130/80) and there was only the mildest of oedema (no more than most women experience). I don't think this has changed but it will be interesting to see what happens at my doctors appointments tomorrow. Last week my protein had gone up to .96g per day, but this was still at least three times less than it was this time last pregnancy. I had put on a bit of weight (now up to 62kg) but this is only 10kg so far this pregnancy which is pretty good and doesn't necessarily indicate oedema.

My last HbA1C was 6.4. I've had 6.3, 5.7, 5.9, 6.5, 6.1 and 6.4 this pregnancy. But last pregnancy I think I ranged from 4.9 to 6.3. So my sugars are a bit higher. Partly this is due to the hectic nature of looking after a toddler. But partly this is also due to me being quite preoccupied with getting things done, which makes me feel a tad guilty. I suppose if I was only concentrating on my diabetes and the pregnancy it's possible I could have got even lower bsls. It would have been nice to have kept the Hba1Cs under 6.0 (non-diabetic range). My doctor tells me not to worry, it won't harm bub at this stage. The baby appears to be spot on normal size and doing well. Getting the control as tight as possible just before the delivery though will be a worthy goal, he says, as this will reduce the likelihood of my baby having hypoglycemia in the early days.

I had intended to start expressing breastmilk today but have been a bit lazy (busy) on that front. I hope I can collect some colostrum in advance though as it will help to keep bub's blood sugars up in the first couple of days, especially if I am unable to feed from the breast straight away.

In terms of steroids, I have decided not to have them unless my ob strongly encourages me to when I see her when she returns from overseas (five days before the booked caesar). I've decided this mostly because my endo, whom I trust more than anyone, really thinks it's unnecessary.

Other reasons are that I prefer to avoid a drug if I can, I don't like the idea of having to spend up to three extra days in hospital hooked up to a drip (for insulin, as steroids can cause a huge increase in insulin requirements), and the fact that if it was to be done it would have to be done in the days before bub's birth and I don't really trust 'the system' to keep my blood sugars under control by drip (therefore risking hypos in the newborn).

Quite frankly I also hate being 'at the mercy of nurses' (although many of them are excellent), I also hate the thought of being away from my two year old daughter any longer than is necessary, and basically I think I'd rather get other things done at that time than be admitted to hospital if possible. Having said all this, I would do it in a flash if I knew in advance my baby had a high chance of requiring days of oxygen after the birth due to immature lungs or retained fetal lung fluid.

Both my endo and my former ob (whom I'm now seeing) seem to think I'm much better having the baby at 37 weeks, when I've been booked in, rather than trying to push it to 38. The fact that the two of them will be around that week and on leave when I am at 38 weeks is an important factor to consider. But on the other hand I feel wierd too having my wee one extracted this early.

Perhaps I should just count myself lucky.

Posted by M.A. at December 14, 2005 07:21 PM

Post a comment

The following fields are optional.